E-2 Investors

The E-2 Treaty Investor visa is one of the most popular visas used by foreign investors to buy or operate a business and to live and work in the U.S.

An individual may apply for an E-2 investor visa to come to the U.S. to direct and develop the business operations of a U.S. company. Individuals may also come to the U.S. to make a “substantial investment” in a U.S. company. The investment amount depends on many different factors, but generally must be more than $50,000.

Requirements for the E-2 Visa:


You must be a national of a treaty country


You must be the principal investor, or an executive, manager, or specialized knowledge employee


The business invested in must be at least 50% owned by the investor of the treaty country


The investment must create or maintain U.S. job opportunities, either directly or indirectly


Substantial documentation of direct or indirect investment is needed, such as legal formation documents of the company, financial accounts, and bank statements

Once an individual is granted an E-2 visa, their employees may also be eligible for E visas to work in the U.S. These employees include executives, managers, and essential skilled workers who are citizens of the E-2 visa investor country.

Processing Times
The processing time to obtain an E-2 visa depends on whether you are applying from within or outside the U.S. A U.S. consulate will usually process an E visa application within a few weeks. For individuals applying from within the U.S., it usually takes 3 to 6 months for the E-2 visa application and approval process, however Premium Processing is available at an additional cost.

Duration of Stay
An E visa will be issued for a period of time based on the agreement between your home county and the U.S. Initial E visas are issued for a maximum of two years but can be extended indefinitely in increments of two years.

Spouses and Children
The spouse and children under the age of 21 can live and study in the U.S. under E dependent status. Spouses also receive employment authorization.

If you require assistance with the E-2 Visa, please don’t hesitate to contact us to arrange an initial consultation.

Are You In Need of Immigration Assistance?

Schedule Your Consultation Today!

Schedule Your Consultation Today!

RGM offers comprehensive representation for all employment-based visa and permanent residency matters, as well as family-based immigration and naturalization services. RGM also provides guidance to U.S. citizens who are seeking visas to work and live in other countries.