L-1 Visa

The L-1 Visa allows the transfer of qualifying employees from a foreign company to a related U.S. company. The L-1A Visa is reserved for upper-level managers and executives. The L-1B Visa is for employees with specialized knowledge.

Duration of Stay
Managers and executives may work in the U.S. for up to seven years and those with specialized skills or knowledge for up to five years, depending upon the individual’s qualifications and the company’s goals.

Processing Times
It usually takes 2-4 months for a regular L-1 application to be processed, however 15-day Premium Processing is available at an additional charge. This gives companies the ability to have highly knowledgeable and experienced employees step into U.S. roles on short notice.

Spouses and Children
An L-1 visa holder’s spouse and minor children can live and study in the U.S. under an L-2 visa for the same length of time as the L-1. They may also travel in and out of the U.S. on short trips. Spouses may work full-time with the proper employment authorization from the USCIS, however, dependent children on an L-2 visa are not eligible to work.

Green Card Potential
The L-1 is the most direct strategy for foreign business owners to obtain a U.S. Green Card.

Requirements for the L-1 Visa:


A qualifying relationship must exist between the U.S. company and the foreign company, such as a parent company, branch office, subsidiary, or affiliate.


The transferring employee must have been a full-time employee of the foreign company outside the U.S. for at least one continuous year within the preceding three years.


The company must also be, or will be, doing business as an employer in the U.S. and at least one other country for the duration of the L-1 visa holder’s stay in the U.S.


Other requirements apply if an employee is being transferred to the U.S. to open or work for a new U.S. business. 

If you require assistance with the L-1 Visa, please don’t hesitate to contact us to arrange an initial consultation.

Are You In Need of Immigration Assistance?

Schedule Your Consultation Today!

Schedule Your Consultation Today!

RGM offers comprehensive representation for all employment-based visa and permanent residency matters, as well as family-based immigration and naturalization services. RGM also provides guidance to U.S. citizens who are seeking visas to work and live in other countries.